Calculus Preparation (MATH 120R)
We offer an optional 1-unit supplementary instruction course, Math 196L, to accompany Math 120R. This course develops problem-solving skills in a hands-on learning environment. Enroll now! Both Math 120R and 196L began on February 11th, 2020!
COURSE OBJECTIVES AND LEARNING OUTCOMES:
- To prepare students to be successful in the Calculus sequence at UA (Math 122A/B, 129 and 223)
- To help students develop and refine basic algebra skills by way of an integrated review of these skills as they are needed in the course.
- To promote problem-solving and critical thinking skills through the application of algebraic concepts to common situations.
- To enhance learning and understanding of algebraic concepts through the integrated use of graphing calculators.
- To promote and utilize the “Rule of Four”: All concepts are explored algebraically, numerically, graphically and in context with applications.
- To incorporate writing into the curriculum. Through writing about mathematics you will increase your understanding of the mathematical concepts.
- To help strengthen students’ general academic skills.
A graphing calculator is required for Math 120R. We recommend any model in the TI-83 or TI-84 series. Models that can perform symbolic calculations (also known as CAS) are NOT allowed on exams and quizzes. CAS models include (but are not limited to) the TI-89,TI NSpire CAS, HP 50g, and Casio Classpad 330. For more information about models, see http://math.arizona.edu/academics/calculators. Students are not allowed to share calculators during exams and quizzes.
Math 120R uses a computer grading program called WebAssign for textbook assignments. Logging into WebAssign can only be done through the WebAssign Login link in your Math 120R D2L site.
Additional homework and/or quizzes may be assigned by instructors. Be sure to check with your instructor.
Math 120R will use Precalculus for the University of Arizona, 6th edition with WebAssign, by James Stewart, Lothar Redlin, and Saleem Watson.
The Textbook and WebAssign access for homework are being delivered digitally via D2L through the Inclusive Access program.
SUGGESTED CALENDARS AND COURSE POLICIES
The SPECIFIC Course Policy for your Math 120R section should be made available to you by your instructor.